This week, we will learn some methods to recognize and measure the correlation between two variables as well as how to find a “line of best fit” between them. By the end, you will be able to:
- Recognize when to use correlation.
- Interpret the magnitude and direction of a correlation.
- Explain the influence of outliers.
- Describe the Pearson correlation and the Spearman correlation.
- Explain the term “line of best fit”.
- Interpret intercept and slope coefficients.
- Define residuals.
- Describe the standard error of the estimate.
- Report the assumptions of linear regression and how to test them.
- Explain standardized regression and its connection to correlation.
To get started, open up a notebook (physical, digital…whatever you take notes in best), and take notes while you watch these two videos to learn about correlation and regression:
After watching the above videos, read through the following chapters and take notes.